View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I followed all of the "rules". I didn't "sugar-coat". I used the terminology ON the SS website -- and it FIT me like a glove -- according to my docs and all of my medical records. Even my employer agreed that I could not continue work. I was STILL denied the first time. (I have Myasthenia Gravis -- and the reason that I could no longer work as a teacher is because I could no longer talk well enough to be understood. I also have some breathing and swallowing issues.) Even the SS "counselor" that I "attempted" to talk to over the phone was totally perplexed as to WHY the SS medical staff turned me down.

I immediately got a lawyer -- a GREAT lawyer -- with a 90%+ record of getting claims accepted. He said that he had NO doubts -- but, that it might take time (up to 18 months) -- and I might have to go before a judge. He sort of hoped that I would -- he wanted the judge to hear me talk -- LOL. Fortunately for my stress levels, it did NOT take that long -- I was accepted about 3 months AFTER my lawyer refiled the claim.

Sorry, I DO think that Soc Sec denies most initial claims. Since getting disability myself, I have heard of very few people getting disability on the first try. I even heard that a local lady with ALS was denied the first time -- and I thought that ALS was an "automatic"!!!
jana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote