View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have sleep apnea and had insomnia. My doctor wanted me to use Ambien CR, but it contains gluten, so I couldn't use it. He doesn't like Ambien, not sure why. So he put me on Lunesta, which was suppose to give me 8 hours of sleep...didn't work for me. So then he put me on Sonata, which is suppose to put you to sleep quickly, and last 3-5 hours, I rarely got 3 hours from it. So, I went against his wishes, and tried melatonin. It worked the best for me, although, insomnia was still a huge problem. Then, because of other issues, I stopped using dairy, my insomnia went away!How could dairy cause insomnia, who knows, yet I have found others who have the same issue. I take 6 mgs per night, even now with the insomnia pretty much gone. I still have a few nights where I just can't sleep, but it's much better.

We have melatonin in our symptoms naturally. I think sometimes, especially with gluten intolerance, a person like me is lacking in the proper levels of vitamins and nutrients. I will continue on the melatonin, it seems it may be something I need.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote