View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
But of course, the best solution of all is to get to and fix the underlying cause like darlindeb did. And I'm still trying to do that with the PN. If there's any possibility that I can do that, the insominia will go away on its own. One very annoying medical professional recently suggested that I go for a sleep study, which I refused. Come on people, I can't sleep because my feet hurt! You need a study for that?
Joan, I totally understand where you are coming from. I was at my first appointment with my neuro, for my neuropathy and headaches, and he took one look at me and diagnosed sleep apnea. I just looked at him and said, "You have got to be kidding!" I seriously thought he was nuts...me, sleep apnea!!! Then he examed a little more for the apnea, even told me my mouth was too small...then I was sure he was kidding!! At that point, we went on with the exam for my other issues.

I always try to do what a doctor says, just so they can't say I do not listen to them. I did the sleep study, and was told after the doctor studied the results further, I would be set up with a CPAP machine...I still could not believe it. Two of my sons had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I still was in denial.

I'm glad Ambien CR works for you. As I said, I couldn't even try it, it contains ingredients I am intolerant to...so it will never be something I can try.

After close to one year on CPAP, I still was having terrible issues with sleep...the melatonin helped at times, yet insomnia was always present. Giving up the dairy had nothing to do with my sleep intially...I gave it up because it was causing issues with my stomach. Insomnia going away was a wonderful surprise. Who would of thought????

I have been on CPAP now for 13 months, and finally, I can say I think it does help...although now, I am having more issues with dry mouth, nasal passages, and still have the constant headaches. BUT, at least I am finally getting some sleep after 30 years!

Quote:
So much for the "glass of warm milk" trick!
I actually had some people tell me I had to be wrong about dairy, simply because they have always been told that warm milk makes you sleep better. Yet, guess what??? They also say whole grains are good for you, and they were killing me....there goes another myth huh???

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote