View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Medicine not always the answer

From personal experience I believe that you do have to be very careful any time you have a protusion in contact with the nerve. Since I was in the military, the first thing I did when I contracted serious back pain was try to gut it out with the over the counter pain meds from the drugstore. When the pain became so bad that I could not walk more than ten steps, I went to the doctor who had me visit a neurosurgeon who took the first MRI. The insurance company insisted on physical therapy to see if they could avoid paying for a surgery. Finally, 29 days after the excruciating pain began, I was placed in surgery where the disc was removed. The surgeon said it had exploded into pieces. One piece was really pressing into the nerve. Well, that was 1990. Four months later, I deployed to Desert Shield/Desert Storm as a soldier. But, almost twenty years later, my left leg and foot still give me all sorts of trouble with ache, weakness and poor response to nerve tests. limp constantly. I'm pretty sure the lingering affects are due to the piece of disc protuding into the nerve for so long.
GI6607 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote