View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help EMG stuff and info

So here's my real question. Could the fact that I took Vicodin before the test, or any other of my numerous prescription medications, affect the outcome of the EMG? The doctor performing the EMG said no, and I believe him. But I want to hear about other people's experiences before I sign-up for surgery. So, do any of you know if Vicodin, or any of the other prescription drugs I listed above, would affect the results of an EMG?

Ok, I had many EMG's, I'm a young adult, but the results were odd. My case is undefined. Ironically, I'm not bugged by needles, blades, razors, electrical shocks, etc. I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance, but no one knows why. When I had my EMG and NCS, my technician told me that he worked on many strong-built and other strong and "tough" men and women, but with the rate of shock that he was administrating and speed, he was dumbfounded that I didn't get bothered, no crying, or tension. As far as the NCS goes, I didn't feel anything or know where my doctor was working with me. However, I had to get two sessions done because with my first doctor, he stated that he was not able to complete the test due to me not having enough strength to be in the different places and movements that he needed me to do. The second test that I had was with a different place and person. I got definite results with him and was he helped me with maintaining the positions. I would definitely say that you should get more different opinions. Many doctors have different views and opinions. You should look for doctors who "think out side of the box," logical thinking doctors, wise, and black-and-white doctors. Each doctor has a different opinion to offer and discuss different treatment options. I highly suggest that you talk with different doctors before you go into major surgery. Sorry, I forgot to let you know that meds will not affect your EMG test. I would check up on that though and look on Wikipedia, MayoClinic, etc. PM me if you want to talk into more details and support. Trust me, you're definitley not alone with this. I'm finally beginning to realize this myself.
Sending you hugs, wishes, and hope,
~dance59326

Last edited by Jomar; 10-16-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: changed font color
dance59326 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote