View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If B6 is building up in the blood, this indicates to me that your patient is not converting it to the active form.

There are studies that autistic patients have elevated B6 this way too, with no history of vitamin supplement intake.

B2 Riboflavin is the cofactor in the enzyme pyridoxal kinase. If B2 is lacking, pyridoxal cannot be made from pyridoxine.

This enzyme is also affected by some drugs. Theophylline is one.
I have also read that "amine" drugs also affect this enzyme.
Here is one study:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...5eda525e449a6e

Quote:
Depending on the results, the inhibiting drugs were divided into three groups. The first group included theophylline and progabide and inhibited PLK using either PL or pyridoxamine (PM) as substrate and thereby were true inhibitors. Moreover, they did not form covalent complexes with PL or PLP. The second group, which included cycloserine, dopamine, isoniazid, and thiamphenicol glycinate, inhibited PLK using PL, but not PM, as substrate. They were able to react with PL or PLP to form covalent complexes, and kinetic studies suggested that the observed PLK inhibition was due to these formed complexes. A third group, which consisted of levodopa, D-penicillamine, and muzolimine, inhibited PLK using PL, but not PM, as substrate.
I think the jury is still out on other drugs at this time.

This paper discusses testing the enzyme, and lists nicotine and
theobromine as inhibitors, as well as a cousin of theophylline.
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote