View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshakesit View Post
Why isn't there a mood icon for Frustrated? My only PD med now is Sinemet 25/100 1 & 1/2 tabs 3 times daily and amantadine 100 for the dyskinesia. The dyskinesia is a nightmare-if i'm on i'm dancing! I've lost 45 pounds through the Sinemet weight loss program!

Is it dangerous to take smaller doses more frequently? This is what my gut is telling me to do.

Now that I've vented-does anyone have any ideas.

thanks
Hi,

First let me say that you are not alone in the quest for the right med combo! I recently changed neurologists because my first one had me on way too much Sinemet, and she didn't want to work with me to alter meds. I was mildly dyskinetic but wanted to get off the crazy dosages because I felt I was courting disaster. In seeing the new doctor, I had to go in after being off all meds for 12 hours Please keep in mind:

1) Yes! You can lower your strength of Sinemet and dose more frequently. This is the idea behind Duodopa; an intestinal pump infusion of levodopa that is still in clinical trials here in the States, it gives a steady and lower dose that results in significant reduction of dyskinesias and near elimination of on/offs.

2)Have you thought of trying Sinemet CR? It's slow, controlled release over a longer period of time. It results in a steadier flow of levodopa minimizing the peaks and valleys- also almost eliminated my "dancing".

In my case, I found that Sinemet CR and a slight increase of my Mirapex has worked wonders! It has extended my on-time by 2 hours per dose. I also was able to significantly reduce the amount of levodopa I am taking per day. I just started this and so long as I avoid an "off"- I feel normal and it works well for me.

While we do have limited medications, we do have options on combining them- so hang in there! It is extremely frustrating finding the right balance, but your neuro should be on your side. Let him do the work for you in figuring out a basic regime and then see how you feel- adjust from there.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote