View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Soccer14,

Regardless of how well you recover from a functional standpoint, you should never put your brain at risk again.

mhr4 said:
<But like I said, there is a slight chance your brain could heal enough to allow you to play soccer again. But the probability of this happening is so slim that I wouldn't count on it.>

There is no way to test your brain and determine if it is up to a level that will allow you to risk another concussion. All of the neuro-psych tests currently in use do not give any indication of whether your brain can handle a physical trauma.

There are no medical tests either.

If you had access to a 6 Tesla MRI, a good neuro-radiologist would always be able to tell you had a brain injury. Unfortunately 6 Tesla MRI's are only used in research. They are rare and too expensive for routine medical use.

The most important thing is to plan to live a long and abundant life. As mhr4 said, you can do that without playing contact or other risky sports.

I was told in 1972 to never play contact sports again. I never did. But still, I had the unfortunate mild concussions that have worsened my condition.

As mhr4 said, there are other sports. After having to quit soccer, I started running cross-country and track. I was immediately the fastest distance runner in my high school. The soccer had kept me in shape to run distances. I ended up being one of the best in the State of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, a knee injury prevented me from being State champion. I would have set a state record in the two mile as I had run a 9:12 2 mile in practice. My coach and I had our sights set on the Olympics in 1978. Shoulder troubles caused me to end my running career. Good thing too, cuz Prez Jimmy Carter pulled the US team from the 1980 Olympics in Moscow due to the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan.

So, take care of your brain and be open to other areas of enjoyment in your life. If you want a great way to compete and get a scholarship to college, find a fitness club that understand conditioning for Rowing. Ergo rowing machines have scoring meters and you could win a college scholarship with just your Ergo score.

Rowing, otherwise known as Crew is an exciting and competitive sport. My son went to Nationals in Philadelphia and his school's girls went to NCAA nationals in Atlanta and did quite well. None of the women had rowed before getting to college.

Check out this site. http://www.row2k.com/results/
Scroll down and you will see the Ergometer competitions.

Maybe your most local University has a Rowing program. Running is also a great sport but rowing is a team event with great scholarship potential, especially for women, since the Universities need to give out scholarships for the women so they can do the same for the men. It is known as NCAA Title IX.

Have your mom read these posts. She may have some questions we can help with.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (10-17-2009)