View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Dew,

Sorry to hear about your spasm! I hope you are feeling better now.

I have Myoclonic spasms where my leg will jerk around in the air on it's own uncontrolabley. The spasms started after I had an ingrown toenail removed from my RSD leg in April 2008 and I still have them to this day, despite trying many medications to try and get rid of them. Thankfully, they have calmed down a little bit though, through the help of intense Physical Therapy.

On top of the Myoclonic Spasms, I also have Dystonia which means I can't move my foot at all. My PTs are wanting to try Botox to see if that will help however, i'm not sure if I want to try that at the moment as my body doesn't respond well to any injections/needles.

I'm not sure if you have seen this already, but here is a link to a video of the myoclonic spasms I have in my leg that may help - you can also see the Dystonia in my foot (my foot is rotated out to the side).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_OwuilOew

Are you on any medications (muscle relaxants etc) that may help you? I tried Baclofen, Diazepam, Kenadrin and loads of other meds but unfortunatley, none worked in my case and I had horrible side effects from them.

I know what you mean about how bad it would be to get the spasms out in public. My leg spasms like in the video all of the time sometimes which is REALLY embarrassing. I am already self conscious as a teenager, without those! At one point, I wouldn't even go out of the house as I was so scared that people might say something because of how I looked. I still get really embarrassed about them now and it really hurts me when I get comments from people about how my leg looks etc.

Try and get some rest and don't overdo it too much. I tend to find that my spasms are worse if I have done too much or haven't been getting much sleep.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how hard and painful the spasms can be to deal with!

Take care,
Alison