View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Soccer14,

What kind of improvements/changes are you expecting from the amytriptyline?

From my understanding, it is a low dose that is used for concussion to reduce the headache and depression associated with concussion.
Maybe somebody else knows more.

I would not suggest getting into basketball this season. As I said before, the IMPACT test is a poor predictor of tolerance to another concussion.

Its primary use appears to be to determine if an athlete has recovered "enough" to not be an additional threat to his/her own safety due to balance, coordination, perception, reaction, judgment, and the measurable cognitive issues.

Just because a athlete is aware enough to not present a danger to him/herself, does not mean that his/her brain is able to tolerate another concussion or even a mild bump to the head.

A neurosurgeon made a comment last night on a Nightline segment discussing the long term effects of concussion on athletes. He brought up the grossly underestimated effect of sub-concussion impacts. The research shows that many football players who have never suffered a career ending concussion go on to have the same disabling conditions in their later years (40 to 50's) as those who had diagnosed concussions. Read the article at
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/rese...8838451&page=1
The important part staerts at the bottom of the first page and follows onto the second page. Dr. Bennet Omalu has done extensive research into this issue.

The most important comment is in the middle of page 2:
<Omalu said that scientific papers have suggested that as few as three major head impacts can result in the abnormalities.

"One individual may just have one major impact to the head. Another individual may have two, another individual may have 1,000 before they will develop this disease," Omalu said.

In the absence of any title for his discovery, he called the disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. He wrote up his findings and sent them to the prestigious academic journal Neurosurgery. >

Soccer14, your next head trauma is to be avoided at all costs.

As mhr4 said, find an activity that does not put your brain at risk

Do the research by reading the Nightline article. Share this information with your mother, coach, and trainer.

Here is another article worth reading:
http://www.ubortho.buffalo.edu/concu...20syndrome.pdf

It is not as conservative as many would prefer but it discusses a wide range of the issues.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (10-18-2009)