View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Until you have a better idea of what is going on with your brain, like the neuro-psych assessment and neuro-ophthalmologist exam etc, I would not get started toward neuro-feedback. It should be reserved for the physicians to prescribe. You will only confound the physicians if you start trying to self treat or seek treatment outside their knowledge. They will be less able to tell what treatments are effective and what are causing complications.

When you get the neuro-psych report, be slow to interpret the results. Neuro-psychs have a propensity to biases based on their training. That is why I cautioned about a diagnosis of depression. Neuro-psych Ph.D.s have more training than Psy.D.s do. The specifics of their residency can also lead to a bias.

I have had two full neuro-psych assessments done six years apart. The scales for both were the same but the diagnosis was not. The first diagnosed psychological problems due to stress and depression, the second was vague with a tendency to diagnose somatoform causation or malingering.

Upon review of the scales, they both overlooked the indicators of Mild Cognitive Impairment. Part of their problem was my top 2% intelligence scores. They reasoning was, How could I have a MCI issue if I was so intelligent?

The research shows that the big differential between IQ scores and memory scores points to brain injury.

Both assessments reported very high scores in validity, meaning they did not show any malingering.

So, twice, the neuro-psychs made a diagnosis that was contrary to the evidence. Go figure.

The biggest value I took from the NP Assessments was the validation that I had cognitive deficits. The self doubt is very hard to deal with. Especially when the doctors dismiss you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote