View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

" any advice on avoiding neck/back stuff from sgb or is that normal? does it get better/more worth it? "

Thanks[/QUOTE]

MVA 10-2000

My experience with the cervical epidurals X3. 1st PM doc 11-2001 said I need epidurals X 3. I was afraid of needles and he recommended 12 different types, some with multiples, and some of them he wouldn't do brachial plexus stuff and... uh...

2nd PM doc 2003 or 4 concurred with 1st PM doc. Urged me to get the epi X3. I asked to just try one. He said "No. You have to commit to all three."

In Jan 2006 my cardiothoracic surgeon referred me to Orthopedic surgeon for spinal issues. Ortho ordred updated MRIs and later ordered neck injections-not sure if he specificed expi X3 - 3rd PM doc/anesth 02-2006 got order. Went to visit knowing I would be going through procedure. 3rd PM doc says "You have a bad neck. I need to do epidurals X3." I said, "Give me the needle and I'll stick it in." I had to sign all the paperwork and commit to follow through. Strange...

Well, the first procedure - under flourscope - (by the way I'd asked the good doc to give me as little anesthesia as possible - I woke up during the procedure and the nurse was giving me more meds in the IV... saying "You won't remember anything." I remember it very well ) -

After the procedure, my symptoms were as bad as they ever were for a while... maybe a week or so. Then 2 wks later back 4 the 2nd epi. (they must have gave me too much meds this time. after the procedure and after recovery, on exit I threw up - I was polite about it )

and again, my symptoms were bad but not as bad after the first.

3rd epi 2 wks later. (they got the meds just right this time - uneventful )
and after recovery I walked out and my neck felt pretty good. I was turing it left to right, saying "hum... maybe they did know what they were talking about on this.) I got relief, even in my low back, which the doc said that wa just a spillover and wouldn't last. Well, it has. and it allowed me to be able to help myself more in PT.

It's not an easy process, but it wasn't that bad either. If you trust your doc, do as you're instructed. Those were worth it for me.

Did you read the discharge instructions?

Keep in touch. Hope you get relief soon.

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote