Thread: Remission in MG
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Life with medication

Thanks for the topic Annie and thanks Erin for asking about the rest of us.

I have mixed feelings about taking medication...I would rather live with a problem than take medication in most cases, but with MG I realized that there was no life without it. I take Mestinon 90 to 120 mg per day and it makes my life liveable (if I didn't work, 60 mg per day would be enough). I take vitamins (Vitamin B complex and vitamin E currently) and try to adjust my diet and lifestyle as needed.

I don't think a person can live a truly normal life with MG...although it may be possible to appear normal to others by taking medication (I think that is what doctors and medical websites mean by normal...only the surface appearance of normal) I suppose by this definition I usually live a "normal life" (laughing about this, there is no way my life is normal even if the doctor says so).

I don't even consider remission (although I would be happy to be in remission of course!) and refuse to take any stronger drugs than the minimum necessary for me to function.

I am currently very depressed about my situation and feel like my life is over (I think if I didn't have kids to take care of I would have no desire to live at all right now). I am sure I will learn to live with MG, but right now I have not. I know that feeling sad/angry/depressed is my body and mind telling me that I need to fix this situation, that I can no longer live a "normal life".

And I am fine not having a "normal life" and never being in remission, but I do want to have some good in my life. I am getting tired of using all my energy to work for money and having very little energy left for me or my kids or my family (forget about having a friend!).

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-18-2009)