View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, this is a conundrum. Do you have a BP cuff at home? Have you taken your BP when you have chest pain? Have they done an echocardiogram too?

Sometimes chest pain can be from either dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. Have they checked out your thyroid? Done chem panels? Liver, kidney, etc.?

The thyroid, parathyroid and thymus are in fairly close proximity to one another. Has an endocrinologist seen you?

My other thought was are you taking calcium AND vitamin D? So many people have a vit. D deficiency. That can cause pain and fibromyalgia-type symptoms.

The body is a funny place. Chest pain makes people immediately think of the heart and lungs. It can be lots of other things like nerves or endocrine problems. Has anyone checked your B12 level?! Do you have any symptoms of celiac disease, another very common disease?

A thorough workup to me means nothing! I've had them at various times and doctors have completely missed stuff like a B12 deficiency. If you aren't running the right test, or asking the right questions, you are going to miss the answer.

A thymoma, a tumor of the thymus, could cause pain. Did they do the striated antibody test or the Acetylcholine antibody test (knowing Mayo, yes they probably did). Find them. If they are high, your chance for a thymoma goes up.

Did they cardiologists do an ankle brachial index (ABI)? It's when they check your BP on your ankles and arms. Depending upon the results, it can indicate peripheral artery disease. If you have an occlusion, that can bring your O2 stats down.

What about APS (antiphospholipid syndrome)? It is a common clotting disorder. What about a D-Dimer to look for a clot?

If you don't have all your test results, get them!!!! I cannot stress that enough. You need to know everything they have done.

I would not accept that it's "just the MG" causing your O2 stats to be low. Did the pulmonologist walk you around to see if they drop when you walk? Did they do MIP and MEP breathing tests to see if the cause is neuromuscular? Did they do an arterial blood gas, which can show the severity of whatever breathing problem is going on?

Well, those are my thoughts for tonight. I'm worn out.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote