View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I wish coaches, particularly those who work with minors, would be more responsible about concussion.

Firstly, there’s the whole prevention thing. I used to coach a few sports, including hockey. At the first practice I would check the helmet of every kid on the team.

Even though I warned the parents in advance that I conducted an equipment inspection, it was usual to find over half the children wearing helmets that were improperly fitted.

Some of the dads would get really steamed because I wouldn’t let their kid on the ice until I’d personally fixed their helmet with my trusty screwdriver. The really scary part was that these youngsters had been playing three or four years before they ran into me. That’s unacceptable.

Secondly, coaches need to know just how serious concussion is. That needs to go beyond identification and first aid on the court, field or ice. As Mark always emphasizes, the cumulative effect of head injuries can be devastating. Coaches need to understand this and make decisions, no matter how immediately unpopular, that are in the best interest of their young athletes. Soccer, to be frank, if I knew your history, I would have never let you play on one of my teams: you’re just too important.
what if i just did some of the stuff at practice maybe non contact even?
soccer14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote