View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Disc herniations getting worse

If your MRI of the C-spine is more than a year old, you might ask your orthopedic surgeon if it's time for another one. I have degenerative disc disease at all levels of my C-spine and it has grown steadily worse since my first MRI two years ago. You might also consider consulting a neurosurgeon.

If you haven't had an MRI of the lumbar spine, I would get one soon.

PT could definitely make things worse, and sometimes it's a matter of finding the right treatment/therapist for your specific condition.

One thing I would definitely advise against: any forceful manipulation of your neck. Some chiropractors and osteopaths like high-velocity adjustments of the neck. They can be dangerous.

Have you tried NSAIDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy81 View Post
Hi, this forum seems to hold a great deal of info and I'm hopefully looking for things that can help me out.

My herniations initially started about 3 years ago. I have herniations in my C4-C5 level, C5-C6 level, and herniations in my lower back (not sure what level).

It initially started as a slight numbness in my left pinkie. 3 years later, it has manifested into pain/numbness in my left hand/arm. I also had slight numbness on the top of my right/left foot (this may be due to the herniations in my lower back).

I had been going to physical therapy about a year ago but, I had to stop due to my insurance not covering physical therapy anymore.

I recently switched jobs and also received new insurance. I started going back to physical therapy (to a new physical therapist as well) about 2 weeks ago.

The thing is, this time, I think the physical therapy may be worsening my conditions. I now have numbness pain in my right hand/arm and numbness/pain in my toes in both feet. I've never had numbness/pain in my right hand/arm and toes before.

I don't know why it could possibly be getting worse? I'm doing the same exact physical therapy as I did a year ago (mostly neck traction). I've started doing traction in my lower back but, I don't think this could make it this worse? A couple of days ago I sneezed very hard and I had this immense shooting pain running down the both of my arms/hands.

I was told that my nerves were inflamed and this was expected. Perhaps beginning pains? But when I started physical therapy a year ago, I never experienced this.

Apologies for the long post but, this whole herniation problem has really gotten me to the point of depression. I'm 28 years old (I'm not young but, not old enough to be having all of these problems) and feel like my whole body is falling apart.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
dbrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote