View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cvcman,

It is not unusual for a tooth next to the extracted one to feel sore when chewing for the first 2-3 months after the surgery. The area has been traumatized by the surgery and also that tooth may have been used as an anchor to push up against with the surgical instrument when extracting the tooth behind it. So the soreness would be expected.

However, because it has been a month and there is still significant discomfort on that tooth when chewing hard things, it may be wise to not eat on it for a few more weeks if possible. The gum tissue may be closed over about 95% at this point but the jawbone will take several months to a year to fill in completely. So the surgical area still has a long way to go before it is healed.

If you develop a toothache in that first molar or if you are concerned that there may be a problem with it, then have your dentist take an xray to see if anything abnormal shows up. Chances are it is just tender from the surgery but to ease your mind, a quick visit to the dentist may be helpful to you.

Thanks for asking your question here..... hope my answer has been helpful to you! And welcome to our community...... please let us know how you are doing

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
Almost a month ago I had to have my 2nd molar removed by an oral surgeon due to a root crack. I had a real hard time dealing with this mentally but its done.

The socket is not closed up 100% but probably 95%. I was having trouble with my tounge twitching but that stopped about a week ago.

I have a small white sharp pc of bone or something on one side of the socket but that seems better too.

My ? is this, every once in awhile when biting on the 1st molar in front of the extracted 2nd molar it feels sore. I can eat pretzles etc no problems but something real firm like over cooked hard pasta in lasagana I will get a dull pain not a sharp nerve like pain more like pressure for a second.

Can this be due to me not eating on that side for the last 3 weeks or from the surgery of having the 2nd molar have to be cut out in pcs ??

I am scared to death that now I have another cracked tooth or something and I will loose this tooth.

The 1st molar has a very small cheak side filling but no top crown filling and I dont see any crack.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote