Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Welcome to the forum, Frank.

They are going to take the broken screws out, right? That ws my first thought.

I don't know that, if it were me, I could blame that NS. I would be furious that the hardware did not hold up though. I could see if it failed after 15-20 years, but 2? No way.

My Dh had broken his leg and had several screws and plate in 1980. when he finally got all this removed, two screws were found to be broken. Gave him some grief, but you can guess, in his ankle, not as scary as in your spine. The doc said this can happen, bones move and stress the screws, some will snap.

In a limb often you could see them right through the skin (we couldn't, and this like I said was the ankle). In the spine, I doubt you'd see that, ever. If docs know this could happen, you'd think they would x ray and keep an eye on it. Especially with the pain you kept telling them about.

If I took issue with anything the doc did or did not do, it would be that.

I was told I HAD to have ACDF at C 4-5 in 2004. NS made it sound like I was risking life and limb, just driving home from the consult. I read up and decided against it. I have pain and issues, but from what I read, i'm in no worse shape than if I'd done it - and maybe I'm better off.

Really no advice. Just hope for a decent outcome for you. Maybe get a couple opinions, both NS and OS, and make a point of demanding x rays every 6 mos or so.

Good luck.