View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There can be alot of referred pain in the mouth.

I just had a root canal yesterday, on an upper bicuspid, and my whole jaw hurts today on that side! (probably from keeping it open during the drilling etc). The gum where the anesthetic shots were done, also still hurts, but the vague pain over the broken tooth in the cheek is gone. I have a temp on it now, and go back in 2 weeks for the impressions for the crown.

I have had crowns that took several months to settle down (not all of them tho). Only 3 of my crowns have root canals.

My dentist tells me it is "referred" pain...and may be due to
deep tissue damage, or inflammation. He said there are proprioceptive nerves in the gum, and these may be irritated for a while. My first root canal took several months to stop hurting.(that tooth had been dying for several years due to another dentist's error in filling it too deeply). I have learned to be patient with tooth pain after procedures, because of that experience.

I use Aleve liquigels for the pain, and they works very well. The liquigels seem more effective than the tablets for some reason.
I learned that with my arthritis issues. I guess they are absorbed better and faster.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-20-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fixing spelling.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote