View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear MarkinIdaho

Well, I would be concerned about the ritalin preventing "healing" if I was just coming out of the hospital too. My concussions (all 6 of them that I remember) were before age 16. Back then, even if you were hospitalized with a subdural hematoma after getting hit by a car (which I was), they discharge you as "fine" if you don't fall over.

The Ritalin thing happened because at one time I was zoning out all day, and the sleep doc in Fargo said that multiple concussions lead to these episodes and that provigil (prescribed for narcolepsy) helps, as well as helping with late-onset sleep disorder. It kind of helped. Took it on and off.

Then, a couple of years ago, during my Survival stint in a deadening job in a store, my brain started gumming up, and then I just slumped over asleep a couple of times in front of the computer. This was not amusing to the crazy young Goth thing who was my "supervisor" and I was sent to the doctor. I asked for provigil, and he said it wasn't in the formulary, and that Ritalin does the same thing. So I took some, and had this experience of "wow, this must be how normal people get things done." I mean, I've been fighting this crap all my life, basically, after fracturing my skull at 11 months old.

Ritalin is a bumpy ride, but if I have to function, I take it. I'm supporting a disabled wife, so right now I'm playing life without a net underneath.

When I talk to doctors, I make a point of not quoting the Internet, but instead refer to my years as a clinician. Other than grabbing one of his cojones and having him promise not to mess with me, I'm not sure what else to do. I try to find someone that is actually interested in doing science--which is rare.

You said that your whole life changed when you stepped of a curb while carrying a load and ended up on your back and hitting your head! Geez, amazing how little it takes...

missing the North Country

gershonb
gershonb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote