View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

I hear you Isis.

I have a spinal cord injury and a massive brain boo boo - and people still tell me how great I look or seem. My favourite one is when folks minimize my difficulties by telling me that they forget stuff too. I feel like screaming, "Yeah, but not all the time and you know you did it!" But I don't scream...

For the most part, I don't think there is malice in what people say to me. Firstly, I think they say it because they don't know what else to say. Secondly, I think they say "you look good" because they don't want to speak truths they fear might add to my misery.

Frankly, I don't think I can expect "norms" to do much better. That's why NT is such a sanctuary for me. I can come here and everybody, even if they don't suffer from the same condition, understands what you're talking about. Coming here reassures me and gives me the strength to go out and face a world that can seems ignorant and uncaring.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (10-21-2009), Dmom3005 (10-21-2009), Isis (10-21-2009), Mari (10-21-2009), waves (10-21-2009)