View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

You're welcome .

IgG subclass testing breaks out total IgG, just like they test for total IgA.

IgG SUBCLASSES and TOTAL IgG
IgG 1
IgG 2
IgG 3
IgG 4
IgG, Serum

I am no expert in immunological testing. I do know the integrative doctor we saw did a lot of immunological testing on my daughter, including IgA and IgG subclass testing. She was below range in total IgA (they also broke out IgA1 and IgA2), and she was border low for IgG4. That did not seem to have significant meaning.

It is possible to be IgG deficient, too, so my guess is that like IgA deficiency can cause false results on antigliadin IgA tests, that an IgG deficiency could cause false results on antigliadin IgG tests.

You can have a normal total IgG level, but be deficient in one of the subclasses, which is why they break it out.
Quote:
"IgG subclass deficiencies may accompany IgA deficiency (see chapter titled Selective IgA Deficiency ). Combined deficiencies of IgA with IgG2 and IgG4 deficiency are frequently observed."

IgG Subclass Deficiency and Specific Antibody Deficiency
http://www.primaryimmune.org/publica...ats/e_ch10.pdf

As an aside, interesting in this Swine Flu season... is that deficiencies in IgG2 may be associated with more severe cases of swine flu: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ency+swine+flu

There is also IgG food allergy testing. This might be what you were wondering about. Traditional allergy testing looks only at IgE allergic responses... the type responsible for anaphylactic reactions. IgG food allergy testing is gaining popularity, particularly with "alternative" medicine docs. It is often termed delayed food allergy and may be associated with many chronic conditions. Many of the labs doing IgG food allergy testing are listed on the right bar toward the bottom of this page in TGF:

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote