Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

JT,

Don't try to make sense of the impact. The helmet will not help if your brain has had a previous concussion like you described.

Your main problem is you have second impact syndrome/multiple impact syndrome. This impact may have had less force to your head, but your head is MUCH more susceptible to a concussion at a lower force.

To add to that, you are in a stage of life that makes concussions more difficult. Your prior concussions, during adolescence, interrupt your brain's growth and maturing stage. This can be a difficult time to deal with the symptoms.

You need to find some way to relax and lower the stress in your life. Your brain needs some time off from stimulation. This includes mental exercises or tasks, loud and chaotic or heavy beat music, caffeine and other stimulating foods and beverages, and anything that you might do that raises your blood pressure or adrenaline levels.

I deal with head aches frequently. I know to take some Tylenol and try to relax. Prevention is highly effective, too.

High achievers often struggle more with concussion. It interrupts their achievement goals and attitude. You may have to prepare yourself to a new way of achieving. Some things may be more difficult than before. Memorization and recall skills may be effected. Over-reacting to stressful situations may become common. This stressing out may cause you recall skills to fail. When I was your age, I would freeze mentally during a test or exam.

So, your first need is to learn how to live a more relaxed lifestyle. This is an outer and inner issue. Activities you engage in (outer) and what you think about (inner) will both impact your ability to heal and achieve.

So, slow down and let your brain have some time off. It will be worth it.

I have been there, done that, lived through it, and learned to slow down and relax.

You can get through this. Just don't try to force it and you will do much better.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (10-21-2009)