View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had cervical laminoplasty surgery this past Feb for cervical stenosis. It was to buy me an additional 3-5 years of neck flexibility but it did not take. This past Sept had a fusion of the c spine C2-T1. All hardware from the laminoplasty were removed and two rods were inserted into the shoulders with the spinal column screwed into the rods which now support my neck and head. The cervical stenosis became worse. A normal c spine is 10mm in size, mine had shrunk to 6mm and compressing the spinal cord, cause for the fusion.

It was the hope of the neurosurgeon that the fusion would bring a halt to continued spinal cord damage (myelopathy) and that there might be some improvement to symptoms. I still have difficulty walking which may be coming from lumbar stenosis at the L5 area. But one result from the fusion is an increase of loss of sensation from the waist down and now going up the back. I am at a loss if this is the result of the fusion or if something else is going on causing the numbness. I still have a follow up with the NS next week and hope will have some answer to this.

David
dtyree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote