View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatgen27 View Post
[1] At this point, I will keep my procedure booked but now I have several different questions on my mind and those questions will have to be answered that morning prior to the procedure. [2] If the answers I get don’t calm my ever increasing concerns than I won’t do the procedure. [3] However, most likely I will try it because I'm desperate for just the littlest amount of
Please know that we all wish you ease with your decision, however this turns out. Please recognize, however, that there is something of a disconnect between sentences 2 and 3, above.

Information alone can't comfort your concerns as a whole, it can only respond to the specific questions you put it to. More importantly, desperation is never a reason for rolling the dice, unless the option won't be around a month from know, should you decide to think it over. (And if that was in fact the case, I would think that someone was trying to pressure me.)

Were I in your shoes, I would bring (A) a printout of Dr. Manchikanti's article, including his list of "Complications of Radiofrequency," along with (B) a tape recorder with a 120 minute tape or similar recording device [in many states, it's your legal right, otherwise, explain that you want to ask about a number of things you have come across that were posted on the official RSDSA (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Association of America) website, with which you are unfamiliar, and the tape is a more effective way of you attempting to retain information than simply taking notes] and (C) a close friend or family member for moral support as well as driving you home when it's over. Once the tape is running, I would:
1. Ask your doctor if he believes the list fairly summarizes the possible complications of your procedure, keeping in mind that lower body procedures appear to be trickier than those for the upper body;

2. Ask him what risks on the list can be ruled out in light of the procedure he's planning; and

3. As to each of the remaining risks, ask him. in a completely nonconfrontational tone, to explain the risk in terms you can understand, the approximate likelihood of the risk, and whether he has ever come across that particular complication, and if so, how many times, how did things end up, etc.;

4. Finally, I would ask him to estimate not only the length of time for which you could realistically expect relief, but whether, at the end of that time period, you would be likely be a good candidate to repeat the procedure with similar results, or whether there would be any expectation of declining results with subsequent procedures.
I suspect that with that information in hand, you'll be remarkably calm and confident in your decision, whatever it is. Good luck and remember we're always here if you need us.

Mike

PS I leave to your sole and complete discretion perhaps the most interesting question, which is why he had not previously disclosed these risks to you.
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bassman (12-02-2009), Mslday (10-24-2009)