View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
LS.....it could be hurting your case that you don't have a regular doctor who is documenting all of your issues.

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people complain that ALL ssdi applications are denied on the first round or imply that all ssdi staff are required to deny cases which should obviously be approved. I agree that it might feel that way when you are waiting years for the right decision. I have to believe that there are some workers at ssdi who are trying to do the right .....and that includes trying to weed out the fakers so there is some money left to pay us !

I know that I was very disappointed in what my docs had written when I finally saw their paperwork. Writing "Patient is disabled" is not sufficient. They need to be very specific about your limitations to prove that you cannot go ANY job, not just the job that you had. Like Jana with difficulty speaking.......yes, that means she can't be a teacher in a regular classroom, but there are jobs out there were you don't need to be able to speak. For example, many deaf people are able to work without being able to communicate verbally. It's up to the applicant to show that they cannot do other jobs also.

If at all possible, I recommend everyone get a hold of their medical records to make sure their docs have documented all of their limitations and to review what you wrote on your own application. In retrospect, I know that I sugarcoated parts of mine or didn't explain things fully.
Finz, I understand the "pet peeve" thing. I have mine, too. Here is exactly what Social Security says about MY condition -- and WHAT qualifies as a disability:

11.12 Myasthenia gravis. With:

A. Significant difficulty with speaking, swallowing, or breathing while on prescribed therapy; or

B. Significant motor weakness of muscles of extremities on repetitive activity against resistance while on prescribed therapy.

I taught for almost 30 years. I am a TYPE A workaholic -- not being able to continue work almost drove me crazy. I have other symptoms that come and go -- fatigue, double vision, weakness in my arms and legs -- but, the severe speech problem is constant.

The point IS -- I MET the conditions put forth BY Social Security from the first day of my application for disability -- and my medical records supported my claim.

The SS "staff" did not deny my claim -- a SS doctor did.
jana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote