View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Alice,

Wow, that's a lot of great information!!

One of my first symptoms when I was really, really sick was severe mental confusion and memory problems. I went from being a grad student in math to not being able to follow a recipe, or remember my zip code. So, when you mentioned co2 retention my little internet ears perked up.

I hope you don't mind but I have some more questions. Some might seem kind of random or way off the mark because I am completely in the dark about how this stuff works. And I know from good old google that it is not easy to understand!! Okay, here goes:

1. Am I right or am I wrong in thinking that co2 retention could cause mental fog and memory problems?

2. Hyperventilation and co2 retention looks the same - is that right? Or rather hyperventilation is co2 retention. Do I have that right?

3. Assuming that I'm right on #2, you mentioned that hyperventilation can cause acidity in the blood. I was told last spring that my blood tests showed high lactic acid and high pyruvic acid and a high ratio of both (can't remember now which way the ratio is set up l to p or p:l). Could that be related to co2 retention or is that more of an anaerobic cell functioning thing?

4. What exactly is a respirator? Does it run on the same principal as a CPAP in that it raises the pressure of the air? I have a CPAP which I use which makes breathing in easier but breathing out harder. It really helps with the oxysats but sometimes, especially when I'm generally feeling like I have breathing difficulties I'll wake up feeling like a train hit me. I'm thinking about going in and begging for a biPAP. Anyway, I'm curious about your respirator.

5. I think I already know the answer to this one but I was thinking how nice it would be if there were the equivalent of an oximeter for co2. There isn't though, right? How come it's harder to measure co2 than it is oxygen?

Alice, if you're not comforable answering all these questions I TOTALLY understand. Also you're probably worn out. But if you do want to answer them that would be great because I am DYING of curiousity.

Thank you!!!!

Ally
bluesky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote