View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

sunshine1alb,

What's up? I read your posting regarding your symptoms and the slip and far in the shower. You said that you've had some headache, fatigue, concentration, and vision problems. Are the headaches pulsating (migraine) or pressure (tension) like? Post traumatic headaches are common but if you've there's a co-morbid disease like depression, then it's best to treat that first. 50% of people with MILD TBI (concussion w/ no loss of conciousness) develop a mood or anxiety disorder within a year of the accident. Some people's symptoms are chronic and don't go away for years, like myself. A loss of memory is very common. Gladly, you don't have any serious complications from the TBI, although what you feel now is probably pretty debilitating.

Diminished concentration or distractibility are common in mood and anxiety disorders, but could occur with a migraine. Vision problems, well that's serious. Are the vision problems associated with a painful pulsating unilateral headache, because migraine causes aura's w/ vision distortion. You also said increased sensitivity to light, which is common with migraine. Migraines are common after TBI as well. I don't get them, so I can't relate. Anti-depressants are used off label migraine prevention, although anti-convulsants are first line agents, and Elvail is successful in 65% of tension head sufferers.

As far as mood and anxiety go, be weary of any eating and sleeping changes, weight gain, insomnia, daytime sleepiness, loss of energy. Sometimes its really hard to gauge your cognitive and mood changes when you've got physical problems. But it's important that you do, because the diagnosis and treatment of mental disease is usually based on an objective point of view. Those around you can't feel your pain, but they can detect behavioral changes, and a lot of the time physical problems coincide with those changes. The sufferer may think "well, my mood is changing because of my physical problems" yet the mood is more important, especially when those physical and cognitive symptoms can be caused by hundreds of conditions. WHO (world health organization) claims that physical complaints are the most common presentation of depression in developing countries.

I developed chronic depression and anxiety a few days after a mild concussion and the disease got very bad as it went untreated. Initially, I had some luck with Effexor, but it stopped working. Recently, I've had some luck with an MAOI.

I recommend this book: "Traumatic Brain Injury" by By Jonathan M. Silver, Thomas W. McAllister, Stuart C. Yudofsky Google Books preview
It covers everything you'd want to know and gives a lot of details about treatment for post TBI headaches, mood disorders, and other serious complications. It even suggestions for non-pharmaceutical treatments.
blackcompe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote