View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Here - Just had MVD, tapering off Tegretol

Hello, everyone. Read a lot yesterday and thought I'd introduce myself today.

Brief history. Diagnosed with TN in 1992. Pain controlled with Tegretol till 1998. Had a radiofrequency rhizotomy in 1998 which made me very numb but gave me almost 6 years pain and medication free. Back on Tegretol in 2003 or 4. At first, a low dose (300 mg daily) was enough. When it got to 600 mg, in Jan 2008, I had a balloon procedure which only lowered dose needed to 300 mg a day. The TN escalated this year (2009), I got up to 800 mg Tegretol plus 50 mg Topamax with break through pain. So dizzy I couldn't even drive anymore.

I decided to have the MVD and had it on October 7. Now I'm recovering and starting to decrease the Tegretol. I have very little pain from the surgery - some mild headaches - and I'm starting to go out occasionally. I have no TN pain (so far). What surprises me is that I'm not happier!

What kind of emotions have others felt post surgery? And what kinds of emotions have people felt when tapering off the meds?

I guess it makes sense not to be too elated yet. I have 2 months before I can tell it this is a total cure. (And if this isn't, then nothing is.) Also, I am still on a lot of Tegretol and some Topamax with all the side effects. I sometimes thought that Tegretol had an uplifting effect on my moods and that withdrawing it might have the opposite effect? But maybe it was just the effect of feeling covered from pain that seemed uplifting. Has anyone experienced that?

I'd welcome any comments.

Jean
jjlsongbird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote