Thread: Remission in MG
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Erin, I was dx'ed in 2005 after a couple of years of not being able to whistle -- YES, that was my only symptom at first. The story of my dx is a fairly long one -- I'll save that for another time.

I am only able to tolerate Mestinon (LOVE IT) -- it is still somewhat helpful in all aspects EXCEPT talking. I can talk enough to "get by" -- I can say about 4 or 5 words before slurring. If I try to continue talking, I become unintelligible after about the 10th word. Can't complain though -- things could be MUCH worse!!

Rob D., I have an MG friend who is CONSTANTLY trying to get me to move to Arizona! I live in Tennessee. We usually have fairly mild winters -- last year was the exception -- I was totally miserable. This summer wasn't so nice, either -- too much rain, not enough sun. We had a drought here a couple of years ago -- it was soooooooo dry -- I had the WORST asthma of my LIFE!! I don't think that I could tolerate the desert air. I've been doing real estate searches in Alabama and Florida -- just in case I ever win the lottery (LOL)!!

Rob D., now you make me wonder if Bulbar and the need for heat ARE connected. hmmmmmmmmm -- I'm always trying to figure things out. I was a math teacher -- puzzles, you know.

Erin, with all of the talk of Vitamin D levels and autoimmunes, I no longer wear any sunscreen. Of course I am careful not to be out during the unsafe hours between 11:00 and 2:00. My neuro checked my D levels at the end of LAST summer (2008) when I had a good tan -- and I was only at "30", the bare minimum for "normal". He said that I was the ONLY one of his patients who had even tested "normal" -- all others were VERY deficient.

I'd love to just take the vitamins -- but, past experience with vitamins has not been good -- I've had reactions to the binders. So, every sunny day you will find me outside -- even in the coldest weather -- for at least 10 or 15 minutes -- exposing my face, hands, and as much of my arms as I can tolerate.
jana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (10-25-2009), Nicknerd (10-25-2009)