View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

befuddled,

My husband is a computer tech, so I called him at work and asked him to look at your question... he emailed me the following...
Quote:
good questions... The CD that the person needs is the Windows XP installation disc, like the one I use when redoing our computer. Depending on the type of computer they have (i.e. custom-built, Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.), the CD they need may be entitled something different.

I know with Dell it's called the "Operating System - Reinstallation CD". I have no idea what it's called for other systems, but I would assume that the phrase "Operating System", "Windows XP", and "Reinstallation" would be printed on it in some fashion.

The second key important part of that equation is whether or not the CD is bootable. I would have to say that in 90% of cases the CD I described above will indeed be bootable. In the event that it is not, there is usually a utility on the CD that will allow you to create a series of bootable floppy disks (usually 4 or 5 are needed). There is also a few programs online that will allow you to burn a bootable Windows XP installation CD, which you'd use to boot the PC then after it's booted you'd insert your Operating System Reinstallation CD. If you want to know those web sites/programs let me know.

I hope I explained it well enough!!!!!
Second email-
Quote:
oh, more info

Depending on the PC, the person asking that question might not even have such a CD... like if they got the PC from someone else and they weren't given the disc. In that case, they'd need to purchase Windows XP. They'd only need the "upgrade" version since they've already got Windows XP installed and when reinstalling it'll detect that and not require proof of previous purchase. Anyways, the other thing they'd need to know is whether it's XP Home or XP Professional edition.

I hope that helps But let me know if it doesn't because hubby is just a phone call or email away (and re-doing computers and reinstalling Windows is one of the things he does at work - so he knows what he is doing).

Let me know if you have any more questions
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote