Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

so good to get your input too mrsD

the vet feels it was probably the ketamine that the vets for the adoption agency used. Part of our adoption contract was that we would take the kittens to the agency's vet in when they readhed 3.5 lb for them to be neutered. Twilight had already been done before we got him as he is much bigger than Shadow, but he still had one testicle growing internally and so they did abdominal on him with a different anaesthetic and he is just fine!

It is very possible that Shadow had some pre-existant condition as he has always been tiny and more quiet etc than Twi

Our own vet is not in favor of ketamine as an anaesthetic, especially for weak cats. I am beating myself up a bit that I didnt ask more questions...but as these other vets are used by the adoption agency all the time, and the agency clearly cares deeply for cats, I asssumed they knew what they were doing, and also, as they had Shadow's medical records from when he was rescued, again I assumed they would take the necessary precautions.

I did remind them when I dropped him in of his fragility

I have always had my cats neutered around 6 months, but again, because of the adoption cotract, I thought they knew what they were doing by setting weight rather than age

such a sad way to learn I should have followed my own instincts rather than trust in others...............

but, as I have learned from many things in life.......

gotta go forward, and not much point in saying "if only I had"

I just hope others will be warned by our esperience and for starters, never allow ketamine anaesthesia and be very careful of rabies vaccine.
I have spent a lot of time researching online these last few days and have learned soooooo much about these "routine" procedures that we have done to our pets knowing what i do now, i know I will not even be having booster shots for any of them anymore!!

anyways..........i am just thankful that Shadow is appearing to be getting better tho it is evident that the neurological impairment is there...in his gait as well as of course the vision....

hoping and praying for a complete miracle of healing, but resting in the knowedge that whatever .....we will love and treasure our Shadow for as long as we have him with us.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote