View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

For me, when my eyes get scratchy and uncomfortable, and very sensitive to light, I take a cod liver oil soft gel, or a vitamin A soft gel.

My eyes tend to be quite red, I'm not sure why. (My theory is that it's like my mum having really bad varicose veins... and pernicious anemia. I wonder sometimes if the swollen veins were from the enlarged blood cells. And then I wonder if my eyes have red veins in them because of how long my B12 deficiency was untreated. I don't know.

The cod liver oil makes my eyes feel better quite rapidly. It doesn't do anything about the redness. (nor do the drops that are advertised on telly.)

I saw a really interesting program on ... I forget which country in Africa ... where this village was having a lot of blindness ... young, old. Just a lot of it. I don't remember who it was that provided the help, but they provided vitamin A, and that made all the difference. I don't remember if people regained eyesight, or if the problem stopped happening but people who were already at an advanced stage remained about the same.

I think they said it helped "everyone" -- but I don't remember clearly enough to be sure.

I do know it has always helped me. (It helped me with my hayfever eyes, before I discovered that taking really a lot of mega B tablets got rid of my hayfever... the problem with taking vitamin A during hayfever season is that I was tempted to take a lot, and I did, (because it helped) but I got a sort of serious cracking thing inside my nose, which I suspect is probably an early sign of having too much.) It's one of the vitamins you are NOT supposed to take too much of.