View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
The burning in my toes and front part of the foot has in the past few weeks moved into the ball and sole of the foot making it painful to walk or stand for long periods. The toes actually feel OK most of the time.

At the same time I'm feeling an increasing burning sensation, right in the centre of each palm and some mild cramping sensations in the hand.

Can anyone tell me if this sort of progression is typical ?
My PN started about 2 years ago, and it too was in my feet. Something about the feet being the furtherest from the heart. Mine started with a pain in my heels when I first got up in the morning that I can best describe as standing on half of a golf ball. Got progressively worse until my chiropractor recommended a "special insert" for my feet. Nothing done there except the cost, $259.00 Then on to a podiatrist. Gave me a slip of paper with the model of SAS shoes he wanted me to wear. Another $150.00, again with no relief. Finally, my daughter (nurse) recommended a neurologist.
By this time, the pain had spread to my hands. A lot like yours, just the slightest hit on the sides or the tops of my fingers felt like back when the teachers used to rap your knuckles with a wooden ruler for being naughty. (Waaaay back when )
The neurologist, in his initial testing, determined it was indeed PN, but was insightful enough to do some bloodwork, and recommended a hematologist. His testing, including a bone marrow biopsy, produced a diagnosis of , now get this, Waldenstroms Macroglobulinemia. Rare type of blood cancer. So, now, I have already taken four sessions of Rituxan infusions, but, the results are disappointing, at least to me. Reduced the IgM from 7,700 to 7,100. Should be in the range of 350. Gonna be a lot of days spent in those lounge chairs, I'll tell you what. Or, as I'm dreading, starting on the chemo. Oh well, at least there's a diagnosis to work from, thank God.
Good luck with your PN. It ain't for the faint of heart, that's for sure. But, with the right treatment, it can be manageable. Stay in touch here. There are a lot of wonderful people in here that, in a lot of cases, can provide you with avenues of treatment that maybe no one has tried for you as yet.
Gyrene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote