Thread: Alpha-1 and MG
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Nicknerd you asked "What are the symptoms you experience that are from emphysema?"

I am lucky that I don't have full blown emphysema as yet. The infusions I recieve actually "hold off" lung damage {so my Dr says} and the only reason I was even tested for the Alpha-1 was because my lung Dr said he thought my breathing problems were MG related, it was my Neuro that tested for the Alpha-1.

I get the shortness of breath, tightness, dizzy when I feel I am not getting enough air. I used to walk a lot and ride my bike all the time but after inhaling the fire ext. fumes I am lucky if I can walk up and down my stairs 3 times.. LOL. The damage done to my lungs can't be reversed but the treatment helps prevent further damage.

With alpha-1 your liver doesn't produce a chemical {don't remember the name of it} that helps protect the lungs, the I.V. treatment helps with the lung protectant.

I still don't fully understand it all but as I said, the treatments seem to be helping a bit so I am just happy about that
Joanmarie63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote