View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

optimeg,

I agree with Nide44 100%. Do not stretch or exercise while on pain masking meds! (I don't use exclamation points very often) If you think you're in bad shape now, imagine how you'd feel and how long it would set back your rehab to have a torn ligament or tendon, or even a muscle tear.

I've seriously injured myself in yoga repeatedly (with my stupid male ego) just trying to force a "bit" more stretch. The latest example is getting a herniated cervical disk that resulted in muscle spasms and cramping throughout my left shoulder. The pain was incredible, and was only relieved by Fentanyl orally, and lidocaine patches to allow me to sleep, followed by months of physical therapy. I'm ready to start yoga again after more than a year off. That's how much a stretching injury can set you back.

Work with an expert. They know how to relax muscles to maximize the stretch, and how to stay safe. Generally, stretches should be held for about 20 - 40 seconds.

Easy stretches allow the muscles to relax and extend their range. Forced stretches cause reflexive muscle tightening, reducing the effectiveness of the stress and increasing the chance of injury.

Stretching is safer when you're warmed up. You'll find that you're much tighter in the mornings. Stretches then are beneficial, but you can't go nearly as far and so would have more of a tendency to overdo the stretch, injuring yourself.

One goal of stretching is balance so that your joints stay properly aligned. If you do a forward bend to stretch your hamstrings, you should balance it with at least some gentle stretching for your quads.

Progress in stretching is measured over months and years. Expect to see little progress day to day. Most likely is a loose day or two followed by a tight day or two or five. The tight days are the dangerous ones where you tend to hurt yourself trying to turn them into loose days. The tight days are from your body trying to protect you from further damaging micro-torn tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Listen to your body, going only as far as it tells you to go. If you take pain killers before a stretching session, it's harder to be sensitive to what your body is telling you.

In general, work with your body using your intelligence and sensitivity. Fighting your body and your tightness will only result in what fights always result in, hurt and injury. It's telling that the very first and most important precept of yoga is non-violence. Non-violence applies to how you deal with yourself.

Don't forget exercise. Stretching is only one component of being physically fit. Your muscles, nerves, and bones cannot be healthy unless they're used rhythmically for blood flow and nerve patterning, and against resistance for strength, posture, and body alignment. Strong and healthy muscles and bones protect your joints, help your general physiology, your skin and hair (better blood supply), and your PN.

Good luck and namaste (Indian for "I salute the spirit within you").