View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here is some interesting information reported in an article online today.

http://english.capital.gr/news.asp?id=840194

Public companies are typically required to disclose any material information to investors through a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Officials from the agency didn't respond to requests for comment. By definition, material information is that which a reasonable investor would find important in deciding on how to invest or vote on shareholder matters, said Charles Elson, director of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware. While that leaves room for interpretation, Elson noted that stock movement can help determine whether information is material

So this means that Biogen can decide what they think a "reasonable investor" would want to know regarding investing or shareholding when they determine what to report to the SEC? If that is true than there is no way to ever know how many PML cases there are.

While the company contends that the PML-related information doesn't help physicians or patients, Morgan Stanley analyst Steven Harr notes that Biogen's decision to stop reporting cases, just as evidence of accelerating risk was developing, may in fact cause increased concern.

Shocking that Biogen is claiming that PML-related info doesn't help physicians or patients.

In addition, other analysts are challenging Biogen's assertion that the PML rate remains "well within" the risk rate implied by the label. Barclays Capital analyst Jim Birchenough said the new cases could push the rate as high as 1-in-700 patients among those patients on the drug for more than two years. Bernstein's Porges estimates the risk jumps to 1-in-400 patients after three years of use.

That is even scarier information.

I'm still waiting for my neurologist to call me back. Maybe she will know something more but I don't really count on it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (10-27-2009), dmplaura (10-27-2009), ewizabeth (10-26-2009), Riverwild (10-26-2009)