View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default The "classic" distal "die-back" neuropathy presentation--

--is not the only one, only the most "common".

I say this as someone who experienced an acute-onset body-wide burning neuropathy of the small-fibers (as finally determined through skin biopsy--EMG and NCV) studies were normal, as was every other test except for the skin biopsy). Mine did start in the right foot, but it was in my hands within three days and all over my body in ten. No etiology was ever found, although autoimmune molecular mimicry is a leading suspect.

And--one of the reserachers I've corresponded with--Dr. Moghekar at Johns Hopkins, who has written on sensory ganglionopathy--did say the presentation sounded similar to those who get such "ganglionopathies/neuronopathies". And yes, much of the refractory nature of the problem stems from the involvement of the cell bodies in the dorsal root ganglia, which do not regenerate like axonal fibers can.

Still, if the damage is not complete, healthier cells may take over the function of dmaged ones in time. This usually involves the sprouting of entirely new axons, though, and it takes a REALLY long time--not to mention the weird sensations one will experience as these new fibers reconnect.

Truly, ganglionopathies are very mysterious, even compared to more common neuropathy presentations. But, while regeneration/recovery is difficult, if the process is monophasic, and does not continue chronically, it can occur, at least to a partial extent.

See:

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/senso...tml#idiopathic

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/antib...uron.html#sfsn

Last edited by glenntaj; 10-27-2009 at 06:06 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kiwiboy (10-27-2009)