View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
Hi Pat,
I was thinking you were the one who had recently quit smoking. Congratulations!!! I so admire you. I have cut way down and already feel so much better. I am not waking up coughing and don't get nearly as winded when walking dogs. I think I am going to need the patches to be able to give them up totally. It is crazy but as long as I know I can have 1 or 2 a day I can make it. It is the fear of never having one again that I am struggling with. I know it sounds ridiculous but I DO want to quit I just have to get my mind to accept that I am giving them up for good. I smoke ultra light 100's and was smoking 1 pack a day. I have a couple of 21 mg patches. I may try half of one tomorrow and see how that works. I will go to Wal Mart and get some gum too. Thanks so much for the info. I had to laugh about you saying you still feel like you are missing a part of yourself. I soooo understand that!!! I may email you for a pep talk if I hit a rough spot. Just knowing others have made it helps so much. I am feeling so much better. I don't know if it is the Pred or cutting down so much on the cigarettes but I feel today like it will be worth it. As much as I hate to admit this over the weekend i was asking myself why I was putting myself through the misery of giving the cigarettes up when I was so sick and not enjoying my life anyway. Today I KNOW it can only help and I have to do everything in my power to help my body stay strong so I can fight these health issues.
Thanks again
Kendra
Hi Kendra,

I want to be totally honest with you. I tried it the first time with just smoking a cig hear and there, but it was the worst thing for me. It may work for you. I had to throw out all ash trays and have no sign of any cig packs in the house. I cut a 21mg patch in half, giving me 10.5mg of nicotine around the clock and chewed as many as 10 4mg pieced of nicorette gum when I had strong urges. You'd be surprised how the gum can cut that urge right out. Then like I said I cut the 21 patch into 3 strips of 7mg each, saving a lot of money and went to the 2mg gum. Two or three weeks on the 7mg patch and I stopped that. Now I've just been using the 2mg when I have a horrible craving and one piece will do the trick. From the time I started all this after my last cig, I had very few withdrawal symptoms...nothing I couldn't handle. So now I'm still chewing the gum when I really feel I need it. If I have to do this for another 6 months to keep from smoking, so be it. It' only 2mg with none of the chemicals, cancer causing agents, tar and so on. Eventually I will stop using it. I only chew it for about 5 minutes because my jaw gets tired. It's nice we have each other for support. We can do this! The benefits are so rewarding. Some of them take a while, but look how long we smoked for!
Congrats to us both! It's one of the hardest things we'll ever have to do and the most rewarding!

Big Hugs,
Pat
Pat 110 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (10-27-2009)