View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Hi,

I'm a 41 yr old male & I have a very unusual type of post-concussion syndrome.

However, certain types of ‘hard’ vibration (e.g., from riding a bicycle) seem to trigger mild post concussion – my head seems a bit ‘cloudy’ and I struggle a bit with short-term memory, processing and concentration – it is quite noticeable. Fortunately, the ‘adverse effects’ normally wear off after a few days.

T.
This post strikes a chord with me -

In my case the trigger is:

Either:
• a blow to the head
or
• exposure to sustained vibration (e.g. persistent heavy hammering, using an electric jigsaw, dragging a shopping trolley with hard wheels along half a mile of bumpy pavement, leaning head on the window of a train...)

Symptoms:

• Very blurred vision (sometimes a blind spot), often to lower left of visual field.

• Numbness in (predominantly left) hands, feet and above upper lip.

• Sometimes slightly garbled speech.

• These initial symptoms are always followed (20 minutes to 1 hour later) by a severe headache (above/behind both eyes) which can take days to completely fade.

First happened when I was 24 (following a collision when playing football). After it had happened a couple more times (once after another collision, once after heading a football) I went to see my doctor who said it was caused by temporary interruption to the blood flow to the Ophthalmic nerve. He said there was no lasting damage and I could carry on with football but not to take up greater contact sports such as rugby!

Anyway, after a few more similar incidents I chose to pack in football altogether (because of being completely dehabilitated during the 24 hour headaches).

Ever since, I've suffered occasionally - I'm now 44 and have had probably 12-15 repeat attacks (usually triggered by vibration) of varying intensity.

I'm an otherwise very fit & healthy individual. I do not suffer from headaches other than those that follow these triggered attacks.

The only way I can deal with it is to try and sleep until the headache fades.

Does anyone think these repeat symptoms are really indicative of concussion (rather than migraine with aura)?

If so it would appear that I'm just (since the original incident when I was 24) very susceptible to concussion?
velocite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote