View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Jean,
Yes I started to feel some twinges and slight pain at exactly 8 weeks after my surgery. Before that everything was going great. I was eating all of the things that I had to give up due to the sharp shooting pains of tn. I guess I should back up my story. On May 23 I had the gamma knife procedure done after I had been admitted to the hospital for the 3rd time. I opted to try this procedure first because the best surgeon for the mvd procedure was of course on vacation for the whole week. So I had the gamma knife done and I felt great for 2 weeks. It may have been because I had also started on neurontin at that time. After the 2 weeks the pains started to come back. I had always had the sharp shooting pains in the lower left jaw area. Now in addition to this I started experiencing a sharp burning sensation in my face (cheek area). I was not able to eat or drink without a horrible burning sensation. The last 5 days before I was admitted into the hospital for the 4th time I became dehydrated and scared to eat or drink anything. I had lost quite a bit of weight and I'm pretty thin to begin with. So I was admitted for the last time and my surgeon was there and I was able to have the mvd. I was very scared and didn't know if it was the right decision but I felt like I was out of options. I had read the book "Striking Back" so many times I felt I was prepared with a lot of information. So like I said everything was great until week 8 when at first I felt a few twinges and then some pains but nothing like what it was before the surgery. So I went back to my surgeon and he said that he thought that I was reducing my medication too quickly and to take it much slowly as my nerve was so damaged. Mine was not a blood vessel compression like they thought from my mri. I had several large veins that were growing next to and pushing on my nerve. Anyway before my surgery I was taking 1000mg tegretol, 3600mg neurontin, 20mg baclofen, and 200mg dilantin. In the hospital they took me off the baclofen immediately and reduced the neurontin to 2100mg before my surgery. Currently I'm still on 1000mg tegretol and I just reduced my neurontin to 1800mg a day. I weaned myself off the dilantin a few weeks ago. Once I'm off of the neurontin then the tegretol will be last. My neurosurgeon did say that a small amount of his patients do have to stay on a small dose of medication for life. Anyway so far I think that my surgery was a complete success and I'm very happy that I did it. Hope you are doing well today.
mean laureen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote