View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi sheds,

Yeah, throbbing around the temple is characteristic of migraine, especially if the throbbing is consistent with your heart beat. Migraines are thought to be a vascular disease. I suppose there are other types of headaches with throbbing pain. Often migraine sufferer's have increased sensitivity to light and sound, experience visual problems, irritability, and concentration problems. Usually migraines are unilateral, but not always. And, sometimes the pain involves a whole hemisphere of the head (from the temple to the back of the neck). Head Pain behind the eye orbits with (tearing and redness) is cluster headaches. The third predominant subtype is tension headaches, which are usually bilateral, characterized by a "pressure" or "vice-like" feeling against the forehead or the back of the head and neck. Migraines and Tension headaches are common symptoms of a post concussion syndrome, even caused by a mild concussion. Migraines are treated with abortive (Immetrex, NSAIDS) or preventative medications (antidepressants, antihypertensives, anticonvulsants), and tension headaches are treated with abortive (NSAIDS) or preventative medications (Elavil and Pamelor[antidepressants]). I've heard of other types of headaches called "ice pick" headaches, but I know nothing about them.
blackcompe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote