View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Or a person can believe in positive thinking so much that they die of severe dehydration after being in a "sweat lodge" for too long (re: James Arthur Ray, co-author of "The Secret").

I appreciate your post, Alice. I know that positive thinking is very important. Tenacity too for that matter. And friends and family to support you. And sometimes drugs. There are so many things that make our lives worth living and keep us happy - and healthy.

It's the "danger" of some forms of positive thinking I was referring to, such as believing you are responsible for your illness when you can't "think" it away. Or the danger of blindly following someone who believes in that philosophy, as Kirby Brown and James Shore did and died because of it (due to that sweat lodge of Mr. Ray's).

There is a fairly well-known man, who began his own business and succeeded, who has conducted the age old Indian (American) tradition of the sweat lodge. He, however, conducts it with Indians and in accordance with respect and ultimate concern for people's health and well-being. No one has ever died, or been harmed, when he has done these ceremonies. Many come away from it refreshed.

So any kind of approach to life or health, whether it's positive thinking or an old tradition, needs to keep focused on the needs of each individual.

I love hearing stories of people who overcome great odds to succeed, either with their health or their lives in general. Like the town of Greensburg, KS, who have rebuilt their town even better than before the tornado that destroyed most of it. And the woman you knew who had leukemia. It's sad when people die but we all do, sooner or later. It's what we do while we're here that is the important thing. And it sounds like she gave it her all.

It's when people take advantage of that "desire" we all have to live our best possible life, or warp those ideals into something dangerous and deadly, that I believe "positive thinking" stops being positive.

And, yes, if you approach someone or something with anger, you will probably get it coming back at you. If you approach someone or something with positive feelings (although I think anger, in and of itself, can be positive), then you will probably get that back. While I believe in the "essence" of that philosophy, I also believe that sometimes bad health just happens. Did all those people who died of H1N1 deserve to because they didn't wash their hands well enough or their immune systems weren't good enough to fend it off? See the danger?

Anyway, I appreciate all you have to say. I'm glad you are here giving us your input. And I really appreciate that you are such a thoughtful doctor, who really cares about what happens to your patients and others. Thanks.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote