View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Another FANTASTIC thread. (See, I still haven't SHUT UP -- LOL!)

My maternal great-grandfather was an alcoholic -- you probably know what this does to families -- to children -- especially WAY back then, before any support systems were in place. My grandmother and her MANY siblings were all pretty pitiful (one is still living). They moaned and groaned about each and every tiny little ache their entire lives. My grandmother SWORE that she was dying for the last 50 years of her LIFE!! She died of old age -- probably due to rotting teeth that she refused to brush or let BE brushed. Sad, sad, sad.....

Seeing this, I decided at a very early age that this was NOT the way I wanted to be. If I had only TEN MINUTES to live -- they could be 10 WONDERFUL minutes or 10 minutes full of woe and complaints. I "choose" to see the glass "half full".

I don't think that we can control our health -- we "might" be able to add a few months or years to our lives by our choices (food, jobs, lifestyle) -- but, we can certainly have a better QUALITY of life if we try to have the best attitude possible.

Listen, I have BEEN depressed -- and I am certainly NOT pointing fingers. I know that at times, you just can't do any better. I have been in the DEEP DARK HOLE -- trying to claw my way out with my fingernails!! But, I saw my grandmother refuse meds that MADE her feel better -- she WALLOWED in her sadness. I've seen "some" (not all) others do the same -- "enjoying" the attention that the pitiful circumstances bring. To me, it just is NOT worth it. NOT talking about my problem (MG) with outsiders is more "satisfying" than telling my "life story".
jana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-29-2009), DesertFlower (10-30-2009), Joanmarie63 (10-29-2009)