Thread: Remission
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

4. Thymectomy for a thymoma is unlikely (it is not impossible that it will, just very unlikely) to result in full drug-free remission.
5. Thymectomy with no thymoma (but a hyperplastic thymus) is what they are talking about when they cite remission rates for Thymectomy.
6. The small number of those who have thymectomy for thymoma that go into remission do so because the thymus tissue surrounding the thymoma was hyperplastic.

Hey Brian,

Since finding out about my thymoma, I've always been pretty certain that I would not go into a drug-free remission since everything I researched on the internet seemed to show the contrary. My neuro. told me that after 5-years, I might go into remission, and I was very surprised by this, and didn't frankly believe it. I thought they were just trying to give me some hope, or be nice...lol

I was not aware that if they thymus is hyperplastic while containing a thymoma that this could put a person into remission once both are removed. That really clarifies things for me, and makes a lot of sense. Mine was very hyperplastic when it was removed. This gives me a bit of hope, but I am still realistic in the sense that I may never get a 'true' drug-free remission. That's okay, as long as there is some medication that alleviates the symptoms.

This also explains why many people don't see any benefit after having a thymectomy as many don't have a hyperplastic thymus.

Thanks for the info.. It was very helpful!
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote