Thread: Flu shots
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Margo View Post
Brian, did you happen to ask Dr. Nicolle what his thoughts are on this? They are sending me a letter about it, but wondered if you asked him when you saw him. Thx!
I didn't because I already had made up my mind to get it as soon as possible. My wife is a teacher and my daughter goes to middle school; they'll be bringing it home for sure before this is all over. I'd rather not get it personally . But the reading material he gave me says this regarding immunizations / vaccinations:

Quote:
Routine immunization for diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (DTP), hepatitis B, and influenza ("flu shot") vaccine is NOT contraindicated in patients with myasthenia.

However, we recommend that you consider the timing of your immunizations. It may not be beneficial for you to be immunized when your disease is very active, in case you have a reaction to the vaccine that might aggravate your MG. Live or partially inactivated vaccines (eg. oral polio, Herpes Zoster (shingles) vaccine) should NOT be given to patients with myasthenia gravis who are on immunosuppression medications.

Note: If you are taking immunosuppressive agents (e.g. prednisone, azathiprine (Imuran) mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept), cyclosoporine (Neoral) or others) the vaccine may not be as effective. However, if your MG is stable, we still recommend that you be vaccinated, including the flu vaccine. (emphasis mine jbr)
-- General questions in Myasthenia Gravis; Wilma Koopman RN(EC), NP, and M. W. Nicolle MD, FRCPC, D.Phil
Brennan068 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alice md (10-31-2009), Pat 110 (11-02-2009)