View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,
I'm new to this site but, not to Hydrocephalus. I was diagnosed when I was 13 months old, I'll be 23 in Janunary. After reading your post, my heart goes out to you. I don't know what life is like without Hydrocephalus. However, I completely understand your fear. It's very rational because it's new to you. For someone like me surgery means nothing, I'm immune to the idea. However, when you've just been diagnosed it's hard to grasp what is going to happen. Especially for someone who knows what life was like before diagnosis. The truth is, this is a very easy procedure and for a first timer should only take about an hour or so, not much longer. The discomfort afterwards varies from person to person. Your neck is going to feel strange having the tube in it,and it's going to be sore for a few days or so as will your stomach. However, you will feel better without of all the fluid in your head. I know when I've been sick with shunt issues and I wake up from surgeries I'm in little to no pain. All of the pressure has been or is being released and it feels so much better. Just take things one step at a time, it does get better.
feesh19872005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote