View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You said
<The mechanism for change in neurofeedback is just a simple feedback system. I won't go into the details here, but simply put, the client is fed back a real time picture of his/her brainwave functioning and is asked to either inhibit brainwaves or reward them. Again, no stimulation is introduced to the client at all.>

I agree. This is how neurofeedback works. The patient observes their eeg waveform (this is the feedback), makes changes in thought patterns until they find the though patterns that suppress the bad waveforms and improve the good waveforms. As they learn to do these beneficial thought patterns, they (the beneficial thought patterns) become more habituated.

This can be very effective in ADD/ADHD and sometimes OCD. It can improve performance in athletes and high stress professionals, etc. The thought is that the good waveforms are in areas of the brain that are underutilized. This 'brain training' increases blood flow to these areas and helps them to become more functional and dominant over the other areas that cause dysfunction, etc. This is sometimes called 'neuro-regulation.'

The system used with James does not appear to compare to the above described neurofeedback.

The problem is many are calling therapies neurofeedback when they are more properly defined as neurotherapy.

I agree than neurofeedback can be if great benefit when used properly. My concern is that many therapists use it as a shotgun term and approach to any condition. LENS, ROSHI, pROSHI and EMDR are neuro-therapies, not neurofeedback. The machine or therapist controls a stimulating system.

In neurofeedback, like mhr4 said in his above post, the patient initiates the response to the waveform information to cause it to reduce in the poor areas and increase in the good areas. It is like a very targeted form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that uses the waveform to target the poor thought patterns. A good term would be 'Replacement Thought Therapy" as it help the patient replace poor thought patterns with beneficial thought patterns.

It is a very interesting science, especially when it gets to the EEG waveform level. It is based on the centuries old understanding of 'operant conditioning.' Infants learn most of their early behavior through operant conditioning.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote