View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. i don't think anyone who hasn't dealt with neurological issues first-hand can understand how isolating and maddening it can be, so i am truly grateful for your input.

dear brain: i have desperately tried to avoid the surgical remedy, but now that i am dealing with bladder issues and my legs are getting more spastic and weak, if i am truly not dealing with MS or another demyelinating disorder, i have to get the herniated disc off of my spinal cord. i know the outcome can be really grim for people who have spinal surgeries, especially when multiple levels are compromised like in my case. my own beloved sister underwent a 5-level laminaplasty about 8 years ago, and also had a subsequent ACDF; she is now crippled with pain and permanently disabled.

shelley: i responded to you via private message. i think i may have sent it like 25 times or something by accident. please accept my newbie apologies!

sallyc: i appreciate your response and thank you for the well-wishes with respect to my surgery.

i see my neurologist again on wednesday and hope he can come up with some other hypotheses about this crazy eye business, and i will press him for a t-spine MRI once again.

than you again, and i am sending you all healing thoughts as well.

best wishes,
binx

What have you tried? Have you been through physical therapy? Steroid shots?

There are less invasive things that may help. Even meds may ease or reverse your sx. And sometimes sx ease up on their own, too.

My biggest concern for you - aside from that surgery itself is a big concern - is that if you do one levl, you put stress on the level above and below.

since you have issues with 3 levels, you will soon enough have issues above and below them - then what? How much neck does that leave you with lol?

I would suggest, when you talk to the neuro, that you approach some less invasive tx. What can it hurt? And also, get some other opinions on this surgery, if you really need to go ahead.

Seriously, would you buy the first house you walked through the first time you saw it? I would respect my spine enough to talk to an osteo surgeon and a NS, and do a lot of reading and thinking on this.

I'm only saying, because I had someone say this to me and now I could hug him. He said "Are you using your arms?" (That was my worst sx) I said yes, it was bad but I could use them. he said "Then you have time to try a few things. Don't let a doctor bully you."

I'm not trying to bully you, just trying to offer MHO. And I am not subtle, sorry!

Good luck with all this.
SallyC (11-01-2009)