View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Hang in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesgram View Post
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with RSD 2 years ago but didn't believe it until this week. It happened after I broke my little toe on my left foot. I really shattered it down in the joint (3 years ago in June) and when it didn't heal I had surgery on it to take the dead/shattered bone out. About 3 weeks after surgery, instead of getting better I got much worse and could barely take the pain. The surgeon didn't believe me. I ended up seeing a number of docs and finally seeing an ortho. surgeon who diagnosed me. He sent me to a pain doc who "confirmed" the diagnosis with 3 lumbar sympathetic blocks. They only helped for about 10-12 hours. When he said that the only thing he could do for me was a spinal cord stimulator I was really scared and found another pain doctor. I still see him (not quite 2 years). He says that I do not have RSD because the pain, although screaming severe, is only in my little toe, with some burning in other toes and some redness in foot as well as toe. I've seen about 10 doctors that ALL say that I DO have RSD. I saw 2 last week and they absolutely say that I do. But my pain doc says that it is nerve damage. This week I saw a foot surgeon because I was considering amputation. He did this: He injected 5cc of Marcaine in my toe and all around it. He said that it would be very numb to a normal toe. He told me that if it relieved all of the pain he would try an ampution with no promises. He said that if the pain did not go away after numbing all of the nerves going into the toe, that it was surely RSD and to go to pain management. The pain did not go away. I am just SO sad. I had the hope of the amputation and now just don't know how I can survive with this pain, almost total lack of support, financial deep problems, isolation, not being able to walk... and other things. So many losses. I don't know how I can hold on. I can't stand up long enough to cook because any walking or standing causes the pain to go up and up. Therefore I eat junk and some fruit. The depression is severe but I can't afford counseling and don't qualify for free things... I'm in the middle. It's just so hard to take that this will never stop. How do you do it? How do you have any life? I don't see how I can. I'm sorry for this pity-party. I just needed to tell someone how I feel and have no one. Hope you guys are doing OK. By the way, my name is Gail. I'm 55, divorced, and live in Texas. I have 2 grown children, both married, and one granddaughter. You can probably figure out her name- lol. Thanks for reading this. I'm sorry it's so long. I hope to "meet" some of you.

Take care.
gail
Hello Gail..

One thing you must understand is your are not alone.. esp. on this forum.. and we know your pain.. if it were up to me..I'd say you have RSD.. and it is deadful.. I know!!! I have had my RSD for just over 2 + years now.. I battle with the pain cold trukey with zero meds cuz my system won't tolerate them. I get thru each day and when the day is over, I think.. I made thru another one.. and it is alot of work... there comes a point when we HAVE to accept this is us now and we do the best we can.. we have to continue to educate ourselves and look for answers AND do not let it distroy us. I still believe I am the luckiest lady alive because I still have the love in my heart and the zest to move forward just as I did pre-RSD days. Do we all have THOSE moments??? .. heck yes, how about THOSE days... sure but life is a gift and for some reason we are the choosen few to live and try to make sense of this incredibly nasty condition... maybe were out there in order to be a good example for others.. we are survivors because we don't give up..we only move forward looking for answers..Personally, I swear by my PM Dr... remembering I do not take meds but my Dr. is very knowledgeable and always supports my concerns. I have seen a numder of neurologists who just treated me as a number so, I think who you treat with it is personal preference. It has to do with the Dr.'s knowledge and bedside manner.

Pain free hug... You're not alone!
keep smilin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (11-01-2009), loretta (11-01-2009), Sandel (11-05-2009), Swatgen27 (11-01-2009)